Starting Your GI® Bill
Complete Veterans online application
Required forms/documentation to be submitted to DSU Veterans Office
- Certificate of eligibility (You receive this 4-6 weeks after completing the VETS.GOV application)
- DD Form 214 Member 4 copy (All veterans/service members)
- Review and sign the DSU-VA Statement of Understanding and Procedure Form.
- Request official military transcripts
- ARMY, NAVY, MARINES & COAST GUARD — use the Joint Service Transcript.
- ACE recommendations from the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services and the review by the academic department determines the acceptance of military course credit. Credit acceptance is determined upon evaluation and correlation to existing degree plans. Upon request, students have the option to submit JST credit for general electives if the degree pathway calls for them.
- Scores for military credit are not included in any GPA calculation.
- AIR FORCE use: CCAF Transcript.
VETS.GOV Program Education
(Chapter 33 includes Transfer of Entitlements (TOE) and Fry Scholarships)
(Chapter 33) Course Purge, Holds, Charges not Covered
To avoid having classes dropped or late fees being assessed, the online Semester Certification Form (https://veterans.dixie.edu/semester-certification-form/) must be submitted to the DSU Veterans Office prior to the “Courses Dropped for Non-Payment” date (see academic calendar https://academics.dixie.edu/syllabus/#semester). In order to avoid having classes purged and/or holds placed that prevent future registration, all documentation required for benefits must be submitted to the DSU Veterans Office. The following charges are NOT paid by the VA: Late fees, parking fees, tickets, testing fees, transcripts, library fines etc.
(CHAPTER 33) Books/Supplies Stipend
The Books/Supplies Stipend is paid each semester based on the credit hours that apply to your declared major and based on your eligibility percentage. These funds are paid directly to the student. The maximum Books/Supplies Stipend is $1,000 per academic year. The academic year resets every August 1st.
(CHAPTER 33) Monthly Housing Allowance
MHA is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents. The MHA is based on the zip code for DSU (84770). Housing pay is affected by your rate of attendance. To receive housing, you must have a VA attendance rate of more than ½ time (6.5+ credits for a regular semester; 3.5+ for block). A reduced amount is paid if ALL courses are online. The MHA will be prorated depending on the number of days school is in session each month. The VA calculates every month as 30 days.
(CHAPTER 33) Tuition and Fees
YOU are RESPONSIBLE for paying tuition and fees REGARDLESS of your VA benefits received. The VA will only pay up to the Utah resident rate of tuition/fees (if you are out-of-state resident, please visit the DSU Veterans Office for assistance). Tuition/fees are reported to the VA AFTER the add/drop deadlines (see the academic calendar https://academics.dixie.edu/syllabus/#semester) and AFTER the online Semester Certification Form has been submitted to the DSU Veterans Office. The amount of tuition/fees paid is proportionate to your eligibility percentage. The VA is the last payer. Financial Aid (Pell Grants/Stafford Loans), Military Tuition Assistance/Waivers, Scholarships, and School Waivers are all applied to your account first. PLEASE notify the DSU Veterans Office 30 days before the semester starts if you foresee experiencing a financial hardship. If you drop/withdraw classes after the drop deadline, and tuition/fees have already been reported, you may owe tuition/fees money back to the VA.
(CHAPTERS 1606, 1607, 30 and 35)
All funds are paid directly to the student, either by direct deposit (preferred method) or by paper check. No funds are paid to the school. You may use the funds as you wish. It is your responsibility to make arrangements with the school to cover the cost of tuition and fees. A payment plan for tuition and fees (https://dixie.edu/onlinepayments/) is available for an additional $40 fee.
(CHAPTERS 1606, 1607 and 30) Verification of Enrollment
To receive veteran benefit payments, you will need to log onto the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E) website and complete your monthly verification (www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do). To log in, your file number is your SSN and the first time password is the last 6 digits of your SSN. Alternatively, you may call 1-877-823-2378 to verify your enrollment. The last day of each month of attendance is the earliest you may verify your enrollment
(CHAPTERS 1606 & 1607) Tuition Assistance
The Department of Defense will not authorize Federal Tuition Assistance towards classes for which a student is also receiving benefits under chapters 1606 or chapter 1607 REAP Program.
(CHAPTER 31) Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program
It is your responsibility to ensure a current VA Form 28-1905 is on file each semester you attend and that it is updated for any change of major.
Veterans & Dependents Transferring to DSU
Using Your Benefits
Important — Student Standards and Information
- Department of Veterans Affairs regulations require that all persons using any type of veterans educational assistance programs be making satisfactory academic progress toward achievement of their education objective (degree plan) as defined in the DSU catalog. If satisfactory academic progress has not been demonstrated , veterans educational benefits will be terminated until such progress can be demonstrated. DSU academic standards can be located in the University Catalog.
- See Standards of Student Conduct as outlined in Student Rights and Responsibilities Code.
- A student may not hold an UNDECIDED major for longer than 2 semesters.
- Students admitted to DSU as a non-resident may visit the Veterans Success Center for more information on the Veteran, Military and Family member Residency Exception.
If you have questions please contact the Veterans Services office in the Browning Bldg 1st floor.