- Please be advised that Under Section 102 of the Colmery Act, Chapter 33 post 9/11 eligibility may be established for individuals awarded the Purple Heart for service after 9/10/01, effective 8/1/11. You will need to apply on va.gov and submit DD 214 showing the Purple Heart Award.
- Utah public institutions of higher learning, including Dixie State University, are required to waive the tuition of a Utah resident admitted to an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate if the student is a recipient of a Purple Heart. Recent changes have expanded this benefits to include Master Degree. Please fill out the Purple Heart Waiver request form and submit the application to the Veterans and Military Service staff along with a copy of DD Form 214 showing the Purple Heart award.
Dixie State University is a Yellow Ribbon school. The Yellow Ribbon program is used for non-resident student Veterans that meet the requirement set by the VA listed below. The Yellow Ribbon program at Dixie State University has limited funding. Availability is on a first come first service basis for Veterans students that meet all requirements. Please submit the following Yellow Ribbon Request Form.
Example of How It Works*
Your non-resident tuition & fees = $7,128.00, the in-state tuition and fees rate is $2,229.00. The difference between non-resident and the in-state rate is $4,899.00. DSU Yellow ribbon amount will pay up to $2,500.00, not to exceed half of the difference between non-resident and in-state rates. In addition to paying the in-state rate of $2,229.00, VA will match DSU’s Yellow Ribbon rate of $2,500.00 and the student will now only owe the remaining balance if any. See the table below:
|-$2,229.00||In-state tuition paid by VA (all certified fees are also paid by VA)|
|$4,899.00||Difference between non-resident and in-state tuition & fees|
|-$2,499.50||DSU will pay up to $2,499.50 not to exceed half of the $4,899.00 amount|
|$2,499.50||VA will match DSU payment of $2,449.50|
|$0.00||Student is responsible for the balance of tuition or any un-certified fees.|
Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate).
Who is Eligible?
- POST 9/11 Chapter 33 100% of the following
- ToE children if the sponsor is eligible at the 100% benefit level, regardless of sponsor’s active duty status
Who is Not Eligible?
- Active duty members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon
- Spouses of active duty members are not eligible
You can find more information at the VA’s Yellow Ribbon Program.
*The calculation is for demonstration purposes only and are not actual amounts.